Eating quinoa as a part of our health conscious food choices gives us several benefits in addition to good taste:
1. Source of high quality protein with all nine essential amino acids. It is 16% - 20% protein compared to rice (7.5%), millet (9.9%), and wheat (14%).
2. Great source of riboflavin which improves energy metabolism in muscle and brain cells. Also helps reduce migraines in some sufferers.
3. Increase stamina and recovery time like the Inca warriors who used it.
4. Antiseptic. The saponins from quinoa are used as an antiseptic in S. Amer.
5. Not fattening! 172 calories per 1/4 cup of uncooked grain. Proteins account for 24 calories, 12 are sugars, and the rest are complex low GI carbs.
6. Gluten free.
7. Alkaline forming like wild rice, amaranth, and sprouted grains.
8. Smart carbohydrates: complex carbohydrates that are low glycemic index and don't raise the BGs as much as higher glycemic index ones do.
Follow the link for more information and cooking instructions.
Next Discussion: If you have Humana with your Medicare »