Need info please

By TsalagiLenape Latest Reply 2012-06-12 23:52:20 -0500
Started 2012-03-20 09:30:21 -0500

If anyone has info for me. My estranged husband got fired and now we dont have medical so now not sure if I can get my meds for my diabetes. Anyone have any info for help. I have applied for welfare for the time being but they arent sure if I am going to get medical. What the frick? If you make 1000 dollars that is too much yet so is 200 dollars for back child support. I dont like need assistance but for now I do. I want to work yet need my meds and etc to do so. So if anyone has any info to help me with getting some kind of medical help please do. I have meds I need to take daily. Thank you

62 replies

Chanze 2012-03-30 12:51:19 -0500 Report

also check your local churches to see if they would be able to lend a hand, when my dh lost his job several years ago our local catholic church was a god send getting me the medical help we needed. Its not a lot but any help is better than none at all on this.

TsalagiLenape 2012-04-01 19:52:36 -0500 Report

Sad to say Chanze that around here you have to BELONG to that church. The way it was down south in North Carolina is vastly different. Even though I worked indirectly for the last Pope, and my mother was a Catholic, I get no help thru the churches except for the ones my friends are opening up here. Thank you Hugs

Teresa Rose
Teresa Rose 2012-03-26 10:43:40 -0500 Report

AstraZeneca has a program for free medicine. You can call them at this numberr to get an application for free assistance. - 1-800-698-0085
There is two other programs for free medicine one is called - Bridges to Access & their number is
1-866-728-4368 & they have a website @ The other program is Johnson & Johnson patient assistance foundation INC. & their number is 1-800-652-6227
Hope this helps you. I get my medications from these three programs for free. 2 of them come in the mail and the Johnson & Johnson program work with your doctor. Your doctor writes the prescription and you take the prescription along with your Johnson & Johnson card to the pharmacy and they fill it for you every month. You renew these programs every year.

TsalagiLenape 2012-03-28 07:23:57 -0500 Report

Ok will check it out later on. Have many things to do today namely get my vehicle registered so I have wheels again of my own. Otherwise, just working on what i can when I can. Hugs

margokittycat 2012-03-22 17:04:08 -0500 Report

Do you have a dibetic education center in your area? Hospital or doctors office that does diabetes education. They are some of the best places to go because they get samples of all diabetic meds from manufactures and distburse them t people in need.

Or do you have low income clinics in your area. Most of them go buy monthly income and give you the meds for little to nothing.

What kinds of meds are you on? Names? I know every drug assistance program there is and can tell you where to go to fill out forms for your meds to be free and it is pretty easy and painless. As a certified pharmacy technican I have the information.

TsalagiLenape 2012-03-24 12:45:20 -0500 Report

No I dont have any of that. I am on metformin lisinopril and glipizide er. So I have something working out I hope just waiting to see. Thank you hugs

margokittycat 2012-03-24 14:10:35 -0500 Report

If for some resone what you are working on let me know. I can get tthe information you need for free meds or low cost meds for you that would get mailed to your doctors office and they call you when they get them for you to go pick them up. They usally come three month at a time and then the doctor you call when you open the last 30 day supply they call the company and put in for a refill.

northerngal 2012-03-22 16:47:20 -0500 Report

Go to the social services office and explain the situation. They can give you advice and point you in the right direction as far as assistance, and medications. They will tell you other avenues to explore if they can't help. Most are very informative and most states have a system of temporary help until you can get back on your feet. Your life depends on it, so don't ignore any potential assist you can get.

TsalagiLenape 2012-03-24 12:46:06 -0500 Report

Yes that is who I did go to along with my senator. Who got the people to help me know what I have to do next. Thank you Hugs

suziesgirl 2012-03-21 19:39:06 -0500 Report

It sounds like you have a real dilema, however I do have an idea, Go to the library and find the book Diabetes without drugs, by Suzi Cohen. You may be able to lower your Cholestrol and Blood glucose naturally. I did it. Never took the meds, my A1C was 10.4 when I started this jouney, last blood test was 5.5. NO MEDS. The first thing you need to do is cut the carbs, white sugar, white pototes, white rice. They are killers for diabetics. Trust me you can do it. Eat lots of low carb vegtables and proteins, like chicken and ground turkey. Eat Tuna. No fast foods or processed. I wish I could tell you that this jouney was easy, the hard thing was figuring out what to eat. This book can help you, I am not kidding. Just imagine someday no drugs available, no free anything, and that day could come sooner than most people realize. Its about getting healthier and helping yourself not be dupped by the drug companies and doctors that don't tell you how to heal your own body with healthy foods. People please start learning to take care of yourselves. Read the book, and most people taking meds can cut down or most likely not have to take them. Best wishes to you

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2012-03-21 13:36:59 -0500 Report

Tell them you are diabetic. If your estranged husband is not living with you or giving you any support, his income probably won't matter because he is not in your household and is not supporting you. If he isn't working he can't pay you any child support and your children will qualify or should qualify for assistance. Even if your estranged husband gets unemployment, COBRA is an out of pocket expense and is very expensive for one person let alone a family. He can check with his former employers Human Resource office to get the paperwork for COBRA. If you are legally separated and he is not required to support you, that is not an income you can claim. If he doesn't have a court order for child support and isn't paying, you can't claim that either. Even if he doesn't have a court order and still isn't paying you have no income from it. Even if he is arrested for not paying, he can't look for a job or work from a jail cell so either way you won't get any income from you.

If you get food stamps and apply for Medical Assistance and you get the food stamps and not the Medical Assistance, you can appeal their decision. You may have to get a letter from your doctor for them stating your condition and the meds you take. You can also ask your doctor for a cheaper version of your meds. I was given a prescription for a med that cost $150 bucks from a specialist. I asked for a cheaper version and was told that would make you have to take the med 3x per day. Do the math here. I would rather pay 6 bucks and take 3 pills instead of 1 pill for 150 bucks. Then I could be stuck with a med I might be allergic to and out of 150 bucks.

Income can be based on how much money you have in the bank, if your mortgage/rent, utilities are higher than your income and if you have no income at all. For instance you get $1000,00 a month from some kind of income. Out of that you pay, $500 rent, $200.00 for all utilities, $150 for medications and supplies. This would qualify you because you are living below the poverty level.

My Met and cholesterol meds cost me 6 bucks each at Wal-Mart and I get a 90 day supply. You could also ask your doctor for a 90 day supply and find out the price for it. Some pharmacy's will let you get half at a time.

TsalagiLenape 2012-03-28 07:26:01 -0500 Report

Yes I did this, went to the senator's office and stated " I have diabetes, its not an option nor is not having my meds for that, since I do take care of a 74 year old man with prostate cancer." I got a call to assist me with getting medical. LOL Great huh? Have a great day!:) Hugs

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-03-21 12:50:43 -0500 Report

Call your local health dept and explain you lost insurance and are a diabetic, they will tell you who to see. You'll be abe to get care on a sliding fee scale (cheap) and your meds as well. You may get them for as little as $1.00. This will work while waiting for other help. Your reg dr can get you free meds from the companies, but it takes a little time. There is help so don't panic, you just have to do the leg work.<3

nanaellen 2012-03-20 23:01:32 -0500 Report

I would first talk to your Dr. and see if he can give you "samples" of your meds they always get sales reps that give them "trial" size meds. My Dr. held me over for 2 months with those!! Secondly if you have a free clinic sometimes they can set you up with the actual drug companies to get your meds for free! I got my Lantus approved for 1 year FREE from the manufacturer. I believe that you can even get the application online…only problem is it took one month before I started getting it! Hope things work out for you I know EXACTLY how you feel!! Good luck, your friend Ellen :)

cindygal1 2012-04-14 17:16:22 -0500 Report

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, our Prays are with you and your Family. there isn't much advise that we can give, but we all sure can Pray for you and your Family at a time like this.

cindygal1 2012-04-03 12:22:53 -0500 Report

Go to the company that makes your medicine and they have programs to help with your medicine. They usually send it to the doctor's office and you have to pick it up, they usually send a 90 days supply at once. I received free medication for over four years until I got medicare, and they don't do it for medicare.

gueda46 2012-03-20 17:17:15 -0500 Report

I have heard that Walmart has cheap prescriptions, Fred Meyer has meds $4/$10 depending on what it is, I go to the county clinic because I don't have insurance either, and I pay $10 for a three month supply of Metformin 1000 mg. I think I can also get my strip and lancets there also. I don't check my sugars daily like I should though.

TsalagiLenape 2012-03-21 08:55:13 -0500 Report

Oic I use Walmart but wont matter if I dont have insurance for doctors appointments. Hugs btw do as James said please

jayabee52 2012-03-20 17:27:08 -0500 Report

why don't you check your Blood Glucose (BG) levels daily? Don't you care that you have to live in your body, even after it breaks down with complications? If you don't test your BG levels, how can you tell how well or poorly your BGs are being controlled?

gueda46 2012-03-20 17:49:25 -0500 Report

I will start checking daily jaybee52, I promise I will start in the morning! Thanks for caring!

jayabee52 2012-03-20 17:59:43 -0500 Report

I would test a MIMIMUM of 3X/day. Fasting, in the AM, then 2 hrs after a selected meal (meal can be rotated by days of the week — mon = breakfast, tues = lunch, ect ) and then for test #3 just before bedtime.

You'll get a more complete picture of what your body is doing with your meals during the day.

gueda46 2012-03-21 17:35:44 -0500 Report

You know, I get so busy doing for everyone else, that I don't have time or energy to do for myself. You know I fell last Friday and messed up my left ankle, and right arthritic knee. I have been off of it for the most part all week, but I do have to go out tomorrow to a couple of appointments. I had to get the oil changed today on the car and pick up hubby's meds so he could get ready for work. I can't walk that far without pain, and now my back molar hurts like a son of a gun, and I have had to rely on my kids and their pizza and whatnot for eating. I am thinking I should just get all my teeth pulled and get dentures and then be done with that issue all together. Thanks for your kind words and your support. Have a great weekend and rest of the week.


kidzma 2012-03-20 17:08:53 -0500 Report

Walgreens has a program for uninsured people, but I found that taliking with my local pharmacist and explainig that I was no longer insured resulted in even cheaper meds than the Walgreens card. Definately worth trying.

Jan8 2012-03-20 14:02:37 -0500 Report

These people have some good ideas. Sorry for your situation. I have been there but it was a long time ago and things are different now. Do you qualify for food stamps? I do know that a social worker may help lots.

door331 2012-03-20 11:16:38 -0500 Report

I am always afraid of this situation happening. I went a year without insurance while I was an intern that started my career— it was a tough choice to do the internship knowing I would not have insurance.

I wish I had known about some of the options I have today. Here is a great article on the D-Mine blog- it is a good read and I hope it helps you in some way:

sseddog 2012-03-20 09:56:49 -0500 Report

Contact the makers of your meds. They sometimes have programs for free meds for those with no insurance. Also ask your pharmacists

Next Discussion: Hate being hungry »