I'm thinking of getting one.
Pros (as I see them):
- Style/image: I think the bracelets are hokey and tattoos are cool. I don't have any tattoos now, partly because I've always half worried that I'd never find gainful employment if I did. But isn't a serious medical condition like diabetes a GREAT excuse to have a tattoo?
- Safety. As it is, I never wear my medic alert bracelet. It's a pain to put on and I've never found one I liked (see above).
- Will never be able to lie about not having diabetes.
- Social stigma attached to being tattooed.
- What if my medic alert tattoo turns out to be just just as hokey as a medic alert bracelet, only more permanent?
I would really appreciate input from others on this. Thanks!
UPDATE: Apparently ALL the cool diabetics are doing it! I found this site with a ton of pictures of medic alert tattoos for type 1's:
Next Discussion: sensor »