daniel o
By daniel o Latest Reply 2011-12-07 22:57:14 -0600
Started 2011-12-03 05:21:19 -0600

is there any one who will help with medicaton and strips I have no insurace and have type 1.I have very little insulin left and affraid to use it because no strips to test sugar level.

13 replies

Nana_1961 2011-12-04 15:40:53 -0600 Report

Have you contacted the actual drug company? They give their meds to you for free if you qualify. Wanna know more just ask me , will share what they do for me:) God bless

RebC 2011-12-04 00:37:13 -0600 Report

Ask your endocrinologist. I know they keep a supply in their little mini-fridges. When I was first diagnosed, they gave me enough stuff to last me for 3-4 months at no cost.

kdroberts 2011-12-03 06:50:01 -0600 Report

What insulin do you take? Some of the older stuff is OTC and pretty cheap at Walmart. Target and Walmart have off brand meters (up&up and relion) that are under $10 and strips that are about half the price of the brand.

Call united way (some states its just 211) and ask if they support local diabetes charities. Most do and most of the diabetes charities can help somewhat with strips and contacts. Also try your local chapter of the American diabetes association and juvenile diabetes research foundation, they can also help with contacts and possibly supplies.

daniel o
daniel o 2011-12-03 07:11:12 -0600 Report

I take humolog 3 times a day and lantus at night

kdroberts 2011-12-03 07:21:24 -0600 Report

You may want to think about switching to NPH and regular for the time being since they run about 1/4 of the price, possibly even less, and will at least keep you from going into DKA.

One thing you could try is contacting the people who make Apidra. It's similar to humalog but they had a issue at the factory that makes their pens a month or so ago. Because of this there is a shortage of pens so to address it they are giving away vials for no cost to the patient until mid April.

eristar 2011-12-03 06:16:21 -0600 Report

I don't know about help for the insulin, but FreeStyle has a program with a card which lowers your copay on strips to 15.00 - I'm not sure whether it works with no insurance - but it can't hurt to check it out - I signed up on line, and it was pretty easy, and free. I wish I could help more!

daniel o
daniel o 2011-12-03 07:13:04 -0600 Report

Thanks for the info so quick do I google free style to sign up

pixsidust 2011-12-04 09:29:27 -0600 Report

So does accu-chek but in the fine print it says that this must be in addition to your insurance and the card will not work without it. I am losing my insurance in April so have been searching myself

meowbat 2011-12-03 06:16:12 -0600 Report

Daniel, you are playing with fire! use your insulin this weekend!!!!!!! First thing Monday morning go to your public heath department, tell the nurse or doc in charge your dilemma!!!! Go to the websites of the companies that make the meds and supplies you use and find out what programs they have for people who don't have the money for the meds and supplies they need!!! you can do this on line now. Most of them have toll-free phone numbers and trained operators to help you 24/7!!!! Monday CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!! HE OR SHE MIGHT HAVE SAMPLES THAT WILL HELP YOU GET BY UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED Need help finding things? ASK! KEEP US INFORMED There are experts on this site that can guide you. If you need an emergency test done go to your Pharmacy or go to an emergy-clinic and have someone test your BG. MEOWBAT

daniel o
daniel o 2011-12-03 07:16:11 -0600 Report

Thanks and I will do all I can I was going to good sams clinic and when I moved to indiana they dropped me 41 years old and this is all new doctors say un controlable type 1 I have no ideal .

pixsidust 2011-12-04 09:32:37 -0600 Report

Is there a good sams clinic in Indiana that you could reapply with? If not do Google the public health clinics in your area!

meowbat 2011-12-04 02:10:46 -0600 Report

You are very welcome. Everybody here is here to get and give any help they can. Please keep us all informed. You need to get those drs to be very specific, give you all the info they can. and tell them about the money situation. they might have samples and supplier affiliations to help. good luck