have to see an endocrinologist?

By diva53d Latest Reply 2011-12-22 10:09:55 -0600
Started 2011-11-24 11:28:04 -0600

My Dr. is going to refer me to an endocrinologist for my diabetes. Why would she be doing that?
I am on 500mg x2/day Metformin. some of my #'s have been rather wonky.
I go along fine then they seem to either sky rocket of dive.
Can anyone give me a bit of incite as to what will happen with the endocrinologist?

Thanks all!

4 replies

diva53d 2011-12-22 10:09:55 -0600 Report

Sorry I have not been on much.. just a lot happening here. So far I am still waiting to get an appointment with the endo . G#'s have been up and down but more steady this week..

Type1Lou 2011-11-24 12:25:22 -0600 Report

Be thankful that your PCP (Primary Care Physician) recognized that treating your diabetes is beyond her realm of expertise. An endocrinologist is a doctor who has additional training and experience in treating diseases (like diabetes) that are caused by hormonal problems. Some even specialize in diabetes. My PCP was handling my diabetes incorrectly; my control was getting worse and, because he kept increasing my Lantus, I was experiencing more and more scary hypoglycemic episodes. After one of these landed me in a hospital 1500 miles away from home and he didn't want to change a thing in my treatment, I asked him for a referral to an endo. It was the smartest thing I ever did. The endo actually reduced the insulin I was taking and got me back on track through rigorous carb counting and appropriate dosing. My A1c's dropped from the 7's and back into the 6's. I finally started on an insulin pump last August. The endos are the experts and will be able to help figure out why your control goes wonky and give you steps to follow to straighten it out if it's in your control and/or change any meds/dosage as well. IMHO, this referral is a GOOD thing!.