Addison's Disease and Diabetes

By Abby888 Latest Reply 2013-06-21 08:37:35 -0500
Started 2011-09-16 07:35:35 -0500

Hi everyone. Here's my question…does anyone out there in the DC community have both Addison's Disease and Diabetes? Addison's Disease is an auto-immune condition where your adrenal glands no longer produce cortisol. I was diagnosed with Addison's in 1994 and was immediately put on Prednisone (a steroid). Now of course I have Diabetes and I am sure the steroid effects my blood sugars but I have to take it to live. Addison's is a very rare disease effecting only 1 in every 100,000 people…so I am curious who out there has both conditions like me. Thanks :)

3 replies

Nostress 2013-06-21 08:37:35 -0500 Report

I have Addison disease and diabetes type 1, and morbus Hashimoto.
I am from the Netherlands.
It is a struggle, I also am mostly focused on the diabetes.
The moment you take staroids your bloodsugar will rise, it is not an easy combination, it is called Schmidt syndrome or PAIS 2.
But having a Addison crisis is also very dangerous.
I wish you all the best and I think you are a very postive person!

Abby888 2011-09-16 16:34:13 -0500 Report

Thank you for your reply Jan8. Yes it can be very difficult at times dealing with both conditions. Knock on wood, my Addison's Disease is pretty stable right now. I just get sick very easily and need additional steroids at times. Mostly focused on the Diabetes right now. Haven't found anyone in my area (Concord NH) that has Addison's and yes I was aware that JFK was rumored to have it. Does that make me a famous Addisonian?…lol…when I put DC I meant Diabetic Connect…sorry for any confusion. God bless :)

Jan8 2011-09-16 16:14:53 -0500 Report

Boy, talk about a balancing act !! I do not live in DC but was very perplexed at your diagnoses. I only know that when taking steroids, the blood glucose medication usually is doubled. However, You need a very specialized endocrinologist to evaluate your situation. One who really focuses on addison's and diabetes. They all study this in med school but you need someone who is actually obscessed and loves to help with these diseases together. Look up all the endocrinologists in your area (Google) or at hospitals in your area. Look very carefully at the research they have published ( usually it is at the end of their info). If this becomes too difficult for you , have a social worker or a nurs,or hospital laison do it for you. (one who works at a teaching hospital in your area). many times they will have the latest knowledge. Johns Hopkins is not that far away either. You could just leave your info in their hands and see who comes up in their area of expertise. You could also speak online to other online who have actually been treated effectivley who have addison's ( John F, kenedy had it .)