By Rylensmommy Latest Reply 2011-09-14 16:56:31 -0500
Started 2011-09-13 22:13:07 -0500

Ok so what am I supposed to do if I find a small trace of ketones in my daughters urine. Her numbers were on the higher side yesterday, and alittle the day before (200's) but even dropped to 56 at one point. (she is 2 and just diagnosed so lots of learning going on along with honey moon stage)
Anyway, today her numbers have been fine and I checked just in case n found a trace…
What does that mean and what should I do now??
Thank you!

4 replies

margokittycat 2011-09-14 16:49:03 -0500 Report

If she is newly diagnosised, I would let the doctor know. It does take some time for all of it to work out of the system because her body had been storing them for awhile. Have her drink plent of ice water that will help in flushing it out quicker, but diffinately let her doctor know and see what he/she has to say about it.

ShellyLargent 2011-09-14 11:00:07 -0500 Report

Since she's newly diagnosed, it could also still be some spillage left over from before her diagnosis. Her numbers were really high before. It does take a little while for the leftover keytones in the kidneys to completely clear out. I would still call her doctor and let them know. If you're still concerned about her kidney function, the doctor can do a 24-hour test where you collect all her urine for 24 hours and they can test for keytones, protein spillage and other factors that would indicate kidney or liver damage. I have one done about once every 2 years just to make sure everything is going fine. I agree with Mary that you need to take a diabetes education class if you can find one in your area. Knowledge is the key to controlling diabetes. If you have a local American Diabetes Assoc. office, they can help get you in touch with an educator or class. Good luck and God bless!

MEGriff1950 2011-09-13 23:29:34 -0500 Report

Rylensmommy, I am type 2. I think that you need to call your doctors office and ask for help. Either a pediatrition who specializes in juvenile diabetes or referals for classes that will train you in what you are dealing with. Shame on them they should not just send you out to fend for yourself and your daughter. Sometimes you can find out where to get help at the county health department or the department of social and health services. If you mean that her blood gluclose was 56 that can be seriously low.
God be with you and your family,