Foot care skin care

By Debbiejf Latest Reply 2011-09-08 12:04:48 -0500
Started 2011-08-26 08:27:21 -0500

In the last 6 months I have begun to have issues with my feet becoming extremely dry and difficult to absorb lotions, moisturizers etc. and the problem has crept up my legs stopping just below my calves. The skin is so harsh and flaky I can't even shave my legs with an electric razor with out causing more damage… I could really use some advice. My pc dr has only given me a presc for some cream that doesn't help. I don't think she knows much about this type of problem. Should I go to a dermatologist?

11 replies

lmkilday 2011-09-08 12:04:48 -0500 Report

Aquaphor ointment is good, but CVS has its own brand which is a few dollars less than the name brand. Eucerin and Aveeno have good lotions. If they are out of your price range, get the CVS alternative to save money. See a dermatologist if these don't solve the problem for you. When you go to a dermatologist, he/she will ask what you've been using to moisturize your skin. If you say you have already tried the OTC brands, he/she will probably give you a prescription.

lilsista39 2011-08-28 22:28:11 -0500 Report

I can thank my visiting nurse Dave for this thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its Ammonium Lactate Lotion 12% for moisturizing and softening dry scaly skin. it comes in an 8oz btl.ask your pharmacy for it i paid 12 or 13 dollarsfor mine but it works wonders and its fragrance free

lorene1212 2011-08-27 23:07:33 -0500 Report

Hi df56francis! There is a cream called aqua4 it is a bit expensive but it is for people with diabetes. I put it on my feet and legs and where ever my skin goes dry. It helps and works… My feet were very bad had the lines and sometimes cuts too! It is very important to take care of our feet. If you cannot find it ask i get it at CVS and it is below $20.00. It comes in jar form. Of course see a dermitologist as well because you can never be sure. You can always ask about aqua4 it is almost like vaseline. in a jar form. I have lots of skin things going on as well. Good luck to you. hugs…

Debbiejf 2011-08-28 13:34:51 -0500 Report

thanks Lorene, I'll take a look at it when I go to the store next month, I am on a very limited income and gas is a very precious comodity for me right now.

AuntieM234 2011-08-26 13:47:39 -0500 Report

Hey there! Have you ever tried Avon's Skin-so-Soft? It is oil-based and can work wonders. It comes in a bottle or in towelettes, as I recall. I've not used it in awhile. It is good to rub on your body after your bath, and I feel sure it would help with your feet and legs. However, it really sounds like Harlen is correct about the dermotologist. You can't be too careful, you know; take no chances where your feet and lets are concerned. It may have something to do with poor circulation. Better safe than sorry.

By the way, D, when you wish to reply to someone's post as you did with Harlen, you want to click on the blue reply button under his post. Otherwise, he may never know you've responded to him. ;-) Mara

Debbiejf 2011-08-27 20:23:50 -0500 Report

thanks AuntieM for the suggestion, I tried rubbing baby oil on my feet and legs, yuk, doesn't it also keep the mosquitos away? Do you know if it works on fleas too? For my dogs :), we can't seem to get rid of them :(. Maybe the other ingredients in the sss will accomplish what plain baby oil coulnd't.

Marytea 2011-08-27 08:51:34 -0500 Report

Skin so Soft is awesome. I also use their Moisture Therapy lotion, just never between the toes. Ask an Avon rep for a sample.

Tamarah1216 2011-08-26 13:08:57 -0500 Report

If you don't have access to a hot tub maybe get a Conair foot soaker .. there are other brands too I am sure… At least it might soften the skin … and help your feet feel good as well until you can see a dermatologist.

Harlen 2011-08-26 12:24:54 -0500 Report

Yes you should go to a dermatologist .
I take time out every three days to let me soke in the hot tub mmmmmm
that;s helped me ,give it a try it may help
Best wishes