Does anyone know of a doctor who specializes in diabetes? I'm using my family physician who diagnosed me.

Trudie Ann
By Trudie Ann Latest Reply 2011-06-09 04:42:04 -0500
Started 2011-06-04 13:27:53 -0500

I have read where some of you use a Endo? I was wondering what that is?
I have gone to a Diabetic Dietician but other than my family doctor that is all. I see my family doctor every 6 months, but I can call him if I have a problem. His office is very busy and sometimes it takes a while for them to get back to me.
I was wondering if any one could suggest, maybe if there is a type of doctor who specializes in the diabetes field that I might should try to see. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

26 replies

Tigereyze209 2011-06-06 22:48:13 -0500 Report

I have to wonder.. would a doctor that specializes in Internal Medicine be in the same league and an Endo? Not sure what my doc's actual specialty, if any, is, beyond being a medical doctor. But, since I am part of the VA health care system, I have been referred to specialists as I have needed. I also use a civilian doc on occasion, and they are the one who's listed as an internist.
I tell you, it is a crying shame when at times, the medical treatment we can get is dictated by either our wallets, or simply what our health insurance, if we have any, will allow.
Still, our system is considered among the best health care available in the world so it could always be worse.
Good luck.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-09 04:42:04 -0500 Report

Thank you for this comment Tiger. I feel the same way as you do. It really makes you wonder doesn't it. God Bless you.

K.C. Guest
K.C. Guest 2011-06-06 00:08:03 -0500 Report

Hey there Trudie Ann. My name is Kevin but most people call me K.C. I am a newby at all this but I attended a convention that was hosted by TCOYD (Taking Control of Your Diabetes.) In the morning and closing session I heard docks speak and they rocked the house. The first was Dr. Mark Burge. Second was Dr.Ivan Pinon.Both are diabetes docs. The headliner was Dr. Steven Edelman. He is an Endocrinologist and the founder of Tcoyd and living well with diabetes. This doc has DVD's, a TV show and tons of info. Just go to for more info than you can handle. If you dont get what you need, I sugest calling the Diabetes Assiation. They can put you in touch with the right Doc.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-06 00:31:25 -0500 Report

Thank you Kevin, I think the hardest part for me will be having to start over with a new doctor. That is of course after I find one. We are fixing to move 3 states away from where we live now. So I'm not looking forward to it. But I know that by next year I probly wont even remember how hard it was.

Type1Lou 2011-06-05 12:46:03 -0500 Report

My PCP was not helping me get better control; I finally asked him for an endocrinology referral and am currently working with the endo to get back on track. I most likely will wind up using an insulin pump before the end of the summer. I travel 60 miles to see a board certified endocrinologist. There are many doctors out there who tout themselves as diabetes specialists but do not have an endocrinology board certification. I'm not sure why I'm still with my original PCP…when I first came to Florida, he added Avandia to my prescriptions, even after I explained I was a type 1 diabetic…I took it for 10 days before I suffered a really bad low and refused to take anymore. Last year, he kept upping my Lantus and told me to skip my dinner Novolog dose because of recurrent lows; after winding up in the ER and being hospitalized 2000 miles away from home, he gave me 5 minutes of his time and advised me to continue with his instructions…that's the reason I requested the endo referral…his approach just wasn't the answer for me. I love the endo and now it's way past time for me to find a new PCP!

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-05 14:49:05 -0500 Report

Thank you Lou, do you have to have a referral to see an Endo? I you do I may need to get one from my doctor before we move so I will have it when we get there.

jayabee52 2011-06-05 19:48:06 -0500 Report

generally speaking, you do Trudie. Check with your insurance co to be sure.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-06 00:34:38 -0500 Report

Thank you Jay I appreciate this info. I will check because I know that all ins. companies are different. But I think when it come to a specialist they probly will. I know I will have to make sure one is on my prefered provider list. So I can find out then if they require one.

2011-06-04 23:49:01 -0500 Report

I was referred to an endocrinologist by my P.C.P, my endo retired, & now I'm back to my PCP who just reorders my scrips. You would be better off w/an Endocrinologist. They would know much more about diabetic health care than just a PCP.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-04 23:54:26 -0500 Report

Thank you annalease. I think I will try and find me an Endo soon as we get moved. Of course I will need another family doctor also.

2011-06-05 00:44:38 -0500 Report

I wish you the best of luck. It's always hard to find a good dr. No matter the branch of medicine.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-04 14:54:05 -0500 Report

Thank you everyone so much. It has really concerned me, since I am fixing to move across country, I know I will have to start over with a new doctor. So I really needed this input.
I sure do love DC. You guys are wonderful friends with great advice.

cheetah1976 2011-06-04 14:39:27 -0500 Report

I used my famil doctor for years but, my doctor recommended me to an endocrinologist when he was unable to keep under control. I have type II and believe the endo is way to go.

AuntieM234 2011-06-04 14:31:22 -0500 Report

I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't already been covered. From my viewpoint, though, it seems to me that it would probably be a good idea for Type I diabetics to be treated by an endocrinologist. My reasoning for this is that there are lots of ways we who have Type II, can help ourselves; whereas, other than following Dr's orders, Type I diabetics can't really help control their fate. Type I, to me, is much more mysterious and complex. I'm just sayin'… ;-) Mara

Copperchef 2011-06-04 14:22:46 -0500 Report

I have two great doctors. One is my family physician and the other is my endocrinologist.
In short, the endocrine system consists of several glands, in different parts of the body, that secrete hormones directly into the blood rather than into a duct system.
Some of the most common endocrine diseases include diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism and the metabolic syndrome.
Care of diabetes, obesity and other chronic diseases necessitates understanding the patient at the personal and social level as well as the molecular, and the physician–patient relationship can be an important therapeutic process, enter the endocrinologist.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-04 14:43:04 -0500 Report

Thanks, I didn't know what an Endo was and I didn't know about the endocrine system. I think it could help me to see an Endo, especially if it has something to do with hormone's and metabolic. Wow thats a lot of good info.

realsis77 2011-06-04 14:00:34 -0500 Report

A endocinologist is a specialist who specializes in diabetes. My doctor wanted me to be referred out to one but I just love my doctor and I opted to stay with him. If I was having problems I would likely switch but right now I am happy with my treatment plan and it is working very well for me. My doctor knows my history and has seen me through a comma after giving birth. I was on life support for a month and he saved my life so I continue to see him.its a personal choice . Either way good communcation is important and a good doctor patient realationship is necessary. It plays a big part in your treatment. If your not happy with your doc then I would change. If you feel you need more of a specialist then see an endo. Its certainaly a good option.I'm happy with my doc but if things change I will see an endo myself. Its always an option.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-04 14:12:46 -0500 Report

Thank you, I like my doctor also, but I am fixing to move a long way from here. Three states away, so I was wanting to find out my options. Thank you for the info on Endo. I know it sounds stupid but I really didn't know what it meant. I am able to keep my bs fairly level with the treatment he has me on and my diet, but I am a little scared of starting all over with a new doctor.

jrose3 2011-06-04 13:36:06 -0500 Report

Having tried both ways as a type I diabetic of >30 years, I highly recommend seeing an endocrinologist. I was seeing my primary for several years recently, having A1cs checked quarterly to manage my treatment, but one visit to an endo resulted in the discovery that I was overdosing my lantus by ~8 units for the entire time I was under treatment with the primary. A good primary can help you treat and manage diabetes, but a good endo is invaluable and will have much more up to date information than most primary care physicians.

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2011-06-04 14:51:43 -0500 Report

I sometimes wonder if My meds need to be changed. I take 5 tab of Metformin a day. 2 am 1 noon and 2 pm. I have been able to cut back sometimes on how many I take/ with Dr. approval. My bs usually stays pretty level but from what I've read maybe I need something different other than taking 5 tabs a day. Then I think well at least it is helping me stay pretty level most of the time. Or course along with my diet and exercise.