By pitmom Latest Reply 2011-05-12 07:02:28 -0500
Started 2011-05-09 13:10:39 -0500

Has anyone here been diagnosed with Charchot's foot? I'm wondering what doctors have told you about it and if you've found any ways to deal with it? I have it in my right foot and can no longer even fit a normal shoe. Orthopedic Doc says nothing you can do, just let it happen. Podiatrist says, lets do surgery and try to fix it. Which one is right? I heal very slowly especially my feet.

6 replies

jayabee52 2011-05-10 04:54:59 -0500 Report

Dear Pitmom
So sorry you have to go through that. From what I've heard/read it is a really troubling condition, with no good or easy answers. Since you asked opinions about the Ortho versus Podi docs advice here's mine FWIW: I believe that if you are having no pain from the Charcot's then leave it be. At least until the pain is very bad. If the podi Dr goes in and fuses the bone, there's no guarantee the bone will not crumble again in a different place. Soon you may have no fusable bone left and then you can do nothing about it, and a lot of money for operations is gone. JMHO

Here are other discussions here on DC where Charcot's are discussed:

My prayers are ascending to the Great Physician, asking for a miracle for you.

James Baker

pitmom 2011-05-10 06:26:17 -0500 Report

Thanks so much for the replies, they are really appreciated. The pain from it is constant and throbbing, it is always red, hot and swollen. I don't want to live my life on pain pills. I have recently tried Cymbalta and it has helped tremendously with the pain. Living in constant pain changes who you are and I am starting to feel like my old self again. Believe it or not, I own a pet sitting service and as a profession, I am a dog walker. Fate can certainly be cruel. I have just recently (this January) gotten insurance so I have a lot more options now. Thanks Spiritwalker too, I haven't known of anyone else diagnosed with this and it's nice to know someone else out there can identify with me and understands the frustrations. For now it is like walking on a bag of marbles, very unstable and crunchy, pinchy feeling. I will keep searching for a specialist with some understanding of this condition.
Thanks everyone and thanks for the link.

spiritwalker 2011-05-09 20:30:08 -0500 Report

I have had charchots in my left leg in the ankle area for 12 years. Staying off the foot helps. Special inserts and shoes can help. It is progressive. High compression
stockings can help with swelling. Keeping your A1C at 7 or below helps. There is
to the best of my knowledge no cure. They are medications that help with the pain.
Some people are helped by a brace with a orthopedic shoe. You have to wear
it anytime you are on your foot. Different things help different people. It depends
on how advanced the condition. You need to see an orthopedic specialist and
have x-rays and evaluations. Good luck to you.

pitmom 2011-05-09 17:23:23 -0500 Report

About a year ago I heard a pop when I got out of bed and by the that evening i noticed my foot was a little swollen and red. I don't have any feeling in my feet so I didn't realize the gravity of the situation. I had several dr.s look at it and everyone had a different diagnosis. I have several dislocations and fractures and the arch is completely gone. Feels kinda like walking on a roll of quarters. I had a pair of shoes made for me by Hanger Orthodic's and they are AWESOME!! Just expensive as heck. I had my foot in a cast for 3 months until it started wearing holes in my foot. Hubby cut it off for me with a drywall saw. As soon as I started walking on it again, it broke again. The only thing I have been told to do that successfully treats it, is "Stay off of it and take lots of Percocet". I don't know what to do either.

jayabee52 2011-05-12 07:02:28 -0500 Report

My ex had a lot of problems with sprained ankles and somewhere along the way she got something called a walking air cast. (here's a website which shows you what they are like: ) [I suspect that there are competitors too ]

Perhaps something like that might be useful to you, so you don't have to wear holes in your foot and cut off a plaster cast. You can take it off to go to bed, ect. You might want to suggest this to your orthopedic Dr (or whoever it was who put the plaster cast on you). I pray it might be useful to you.



Cookie Roma
Cookie Roma 2011-05-09 15:34:10 -0500 Report

OMG! I just looked up charchots. I had NO idea. I've had orthopedic problems all my life. Its that lovely thing with the huge bonions and the twos that cross. It's a progressive condition. At this point I wear size 8 four E wide shoes. So naturally I don't own any real shoes. Well, I own one pair of sneakers . Ofcourse to get them wide enough I have to buy mens sneakers. I can't go anywhere that requires dressing up because I cant find shoes to wear beyond mens sneakers.
So this charchots, what can ve done to avoid it or help it once you've gotten it?