Graduate school financial assistance

By T1Dx25+ Latest Reply 2011-07-23 17:26:30 -0500
Started 2011-04-02 00:24:11 -0500

Does anyone know of any type of grants, scholarships, etc for diabetics to work on graduate school? I am hoping to Master in both social work and public health.
Thank you

7 replies

Turtle 2011-07-23 17:26:30 -0500 Report

I do not know of any for diabetics in particular but if you finish with an online school, I know some have financial aid. I wish you well.

kdroberts 2011-04-05 13:00:14 -0500 Report

Actually, there are a lot of scholarships for diabetics. However, they are private grants (usually funded by an alumni who has money and diabetes or a family member with diabetes) and usually only for 1 or 2 people per year and at a specific college. Some stipulate that you have to to type 1, some don't. You would have to contact the colleges you are looking at to find out if they have one.

northerngal 2011-04-05 10:23:15 -0500 Report

There are none for diabetics specifically, but there are plenty of other grants that you can apply for. My inbox has at least 3 offers every day. Check into government grants because you don't need to pay that back. There are tons and especially for health related studies, check with hospitals too. Many of them also offer assistance and possibly a job offer along with it. Good luck.

traceeb_123 2011-04-03 12:45:55 -0500 Report

Diabetes is not considered a disability unless you've lost a limb or are now blind…I have type 1 and have had it since 1974. Have tried lots of times to get grants for school and have always been turned down since I am healthy.

Dev 2011-04-02 12:46:19 -0500 Report

Many Universities have diversity goals that include people with dissabilities, and they provide scholarships to encourage these students to pursue higher education. So one thing you can do is to make a list of the universities you are interested in and then do a campus visit or a phone interview with a person in financial aid office.

You can also gather information about the departments you are interested in for Masters and see if they have any projects going on that seem interesting where you can bring in your previous knowledge and experience of living with diabetes. In such cases you can get graduate assistantship or research assistantships that can cover your tuition etc.

The other thing is to find NGOs like Robert Wood Johnson foundation that have interest in health care and health education and propose some project that you will complete as part of your masters that they feel is inline with their goals.

I am a student in Columbia University. If you have any specific questions about social work and public health programs here I can get information for you.

Another generic resource is It is a good place to check for a variety of scholarships, and small and medium level grants. I don't know if they will have any specifically for people with diabetes but no harm in checking.

jayabee52 2011-04-02 08:10:26 -0500 Report

I pray you find success finding funding and in reaching your educational goals! My bride "Jem" was a LCSW, so it is a worthwhile endeavour, IMO.

GabbyPA 2011-04-02 06:56:02 -0500 Report

I don't know of things for specifically diabetics, but you might consider looking in the grants for people with disabilities. That may be where you could qualify.

Next Discussion: Hey, Everyone »