I have a question, wondering if my brother could be diabetic?

By tabby9146 Latest Reply 2011-03-26 15:02:37 -0500
Started 2011-03-25 19:09:29 -0500

His ex-wife and I are friends and she told me that one day recently, they had a health fair at his work place. He told her that his blood sugar was about 200! I do not know if he had eaten just before that or what but he blamed it on a tetanus shot he'd had the day before. She and I did not think that type of shot would do that, so does anyone know if that may have contributed to the high number? I am going to tell him to get checked, and go to his doctor! He is overweight, only in his mid-section and has been for quite some time. She did not want me to say anything to him, he would know she told me. But I am worried.

6 replies

tabby9146 2011-03-26 15:02:37 -0500 Report

oh yes his health is much more important, just trying to figure out a way to approach it. We are not biologically related. We were adopted as infants, but of course, despite that, he is my brother, we were raised together, but don't have of the same genes at all. Out parents couldn't have children, were in their mid 30s and they adopted him as an infant, and then 4 years later, me. I can tell him that I have noticed he has not lost weight and that since it is all in his middle, where mine was, that I am concerned. I am going to email him today. Denise says he won't listen to her. I can't stand him being in denial, but I agree with kdroberts, those were my thoughts exactly, I did not think the shot had anything to do with it, but I was not positive, because as long as I have been a member here, I"ve read stories about certain shots doing that and certain medications. Going to email him right now, thanks everyone!

kdroberts 2011-03-25 20:44:09 -0500 Report

No, the tetanus shot wouldn't do that unless there is already a problem. He needs to go to a doctor and get a fasting blood sugar test, A1c and ideally an oral glucose tolerance test. If he had eaten before would guess that he has about a 65% chance of being diagnosed with pre-diabetes, 34% chance of being diagnosed with diabetes and 1% chance of being diagnosed with nothing. If he hadn't eaten then I would guess at 98% chance of being diagnosed with diabetes, 2% chance of pre-diabetes and 0% chance of being diagnosed with nothing.

If you're worried, just tell him that since diabetes is so genetic and runs heavily between siblings and parents you would like him to get tested just to make sure he isn't diabetic to put your mind at rest.

echowit 2011-03-25 20:18:24 -0500 Report

Agree with the previous posters. There should be some follow-up or retest done. Googled and got no response of tetanus shots affecting BG levels. If the shot left him with pain it might raise BG a little. Can't advise you on the interpersonal thing but he should look into this further.


1cookie :)
1cookie :) 2011-03-25 20:08:46 -0500 Report

I'm no doctor, but I do not believe that injection added to the numbers. Get together with him and test him yourself if you have the means to do it. It is out of love and concern that you need to get him to face what might be happening. I'm sure he is not happy to think your both birds of a feather. At least he will have you for support.

RAYT721 2011-03-25 19:15:35 -0500 Report

That is a difficult position to be in. Have you mentioned your diabetes to your brother? You could bring up your numbers to him, ask if he'd been testing for diabetes recently because of the risk factors of family or let him talk to you rather than you talk to him. There are many ways to approach the topic without giving away that you know something. It is best to keep the confidence that was given to you but as a sibling you have every right to discuss the disease with him because it does affect both of you.

1cookie :)
1cookie :) 2011-03-25 20:13:16 -0500 Report

I can't help but wonder if he told her BECAUSE he knows they speak to each other. Yes it is good to keep the confidence, but heath is more important.

Next Discussion: Baggie Ice Cream »